The settlement - leveling perhaps the largest financial penalty in United States history against a factory farm on grounds of animal cruelty - is the result of a 2008-2009 MFA investigation at the factory farm, which exposed shocking cruelty to egg-laying hens, including:
- Workers and managers killing birds by grabbing their necks and swinging them around in circles.
- Supervisors and workers throwing live birds into trash cans.
- Birds suffering from broken bones, bloody open wounds, untreated infections and uterine prolapses.
- Hens confined four to six in tiny wire cages so small they were unable to stretch their wings, move freely or engage in other basic behaviors.
- Birds trapped in the wire of their cages or under the feeding trays without access to food or water.
- Rotting carcasses in cages with live hens still laying eggs for human consumption.
The findings of MFA's latest egg facility investigation are similar to those documented at numerous egg farms across the country in recent years - illustrating that animal neglect and abuse are the egg industry standard, not the exception.
As consumers we can choose compassion over cruelty at every meal. Adopting a compassionate vegan diet is one of the best actions we can take to prevent needless animal suffering and end the conditions documented during this investigation.
Click here to order a Free Vegan Starter Kit.
SOURCE: Mercy For Animals